Prep & Cook Time 50 Serves 8
400 ml pouring cream
1 cup milk
½ cup (110g) caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 hot cross buns, plain or chocolate*
1/2 cup Nutella or hazelnut spread
50 grams soft butter
1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
Vanilla ice cream, cream or custard
- Preheat oven to 170’C (150’C fan forced).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the cream, milk, eggs, caster sugar and vanilla extract until well combined and sugar has disolved.
- Cut 6 hot cross buns each into 3 slices horizontally, making a bottom, middle and top. Spread the slices with a generous smear of Nutella.
- Arrange bun bases into a greased oval 2L capacity ovenproof dish. Pour over a third of the egg mixture. Stand for 5 minutes. Repeat the process, standing between layers, finishing with the tops of the hot cross buns and remaining egg mixture. Sprinkle over raspberries.
- Bake pudding for about 40 mins or until golden and custard is slightly set, still runny. Stand for 5 minutes and serve the pudding warm with ice cream or cream.
Day old hot cross buns work best with this recipe.